Brought to you by: Natalie Freeman – National Key Account Manager
The Solo Cabins I would recommend for anyone ranging from around 30 to 75, there was a good mix of ages and it was great to see the age groups gravitate to each other and make lifelong friends in some instances (myself included).
NCL are a family friendly cruise line and families are well catered for along with couples. Selling to all age groups you can’t go wrong.
Norwegian Cruise line were the first to introduce designated Solo Cabins. As a woman travelling on my own I felt safe as a key tag is required to obtain entrance to the studio complex then key tag to gain entry into my cabin along with the solo lounge.
New York being my favourite city in the world, the Sailaway was quite emotional with finding myself crying with happiness at the views of NYC and the ambience on the top deck was captivating and exhilarating. Something that I know has and will stay with me forever. A remarkable moment.
5-7pm each night was Happy Hour in the designated Solo Lounge with our own designated bartender, where you could mingle and meet other solo travellers. The Cruise Director would organise dinner reservations, shore excursions, activities etc for the following day and make sure you were looked after. You could do all the activities etc on offer or none at all, up to you. This was such a terrific option to meet others and I never dined alone.
1. Make sure you are well positioned on the top deck at sailaway out of NYC……breathtakingly beautiful cruising past the Statue of Liberty with the USA National Anthem “The Star Spangled Banner” playing over the loud speakers followed by Alicia Keys “Empire State of Mind” with cocktails flowing – amazing experience.
2. Bahamas is tax free so for those that like designer items, shopping in Nassau is a MUST, luxury high end stores galore with some regular priced shops thrown in. I opted for the Blue Lagoon Island day trip which included a beach barbecue, great value. Drinks/cocktails very reasonably priced. Was not disappointed, fabulous day.
3. Don’t be put off selling the solo cabins to clients, they are brilliant and the floor space is larger than if sharing in a twin cabin, around 100sqm. Solo Cabins have a full size queen bed, two large wardrobes, separate shower and toilet along with the opportunity of interconnecting cabins; great for two friends travelling together having own rooms. The rooms are stylish and contemporary complete with mood lighting, and large circular window overlooking the hall.
4. Norwegian also have Solo Cabins not just on Breakaway (59), but also, Escape (82), Getaway (59), Epic (128) and Pride of America (4). These cabins are hugely popular and are the first to sell out, therefore I suggest you secure your clients cabins well in advance. NCL are the pioneers and offer more solo offerings of any cruise line and are extremely popular which having sailed in the solo cabins I understand the huge demand – they are comfortable, and well appointed.
5. The studio complex and cabins are positioned out over deck 10 and 11 (all cabins are mid ship) with the Studio Lounge main entrance and bar on deck 10 and deck 11 a lounge area. Snacks are constantly fresh and restocked daily (fruit, muffins, small cakes) in the Lounge Area along with a cappuccino machine, free of charge and wine dispenser machines when the bar is not open. Great for midnight or any time of the day snacks without having to venture out of the Studio complex.
6. Modern Currascaria (South American) – Specialty Dining restaurant with a small cover charge of $20USD pp is a MUST. Every type of steak, lamb, pork, sausage was on offer cooked to perfection along with a majorly good salad bar with every salad you could expect, mind blowing – delish! I would book this as soon as possible when boarding the ship as it is a “do not miss experience”.
7. On NCL you can pre book your seat for the nightly shows, so do so as these, especially the first show are popular. If you miss out, a good tip is head to the show, advise the usher and if any pax do not show up, a minute or so prior to the curtain raises you have the possibility of grabbing the seats.
8. Around 10-11pm each evening the coolest ship dance floor opens up as Spice H2O, Deck 16 AFT. Each night is a different theme……70’s groove party, Norwegian Night out, Sizzlin Latin Party, Awesome 80’s party, Glow Party and Throwback 90’s party. This is a definite must for the night owls, dancing under the stars with around 1000 other pax each night was the highlight of my time on board the cruise with everyone from young adults to the elderly dancing the night away for a few hours. Breathtaking experience and another MUST!